The same conditions that created world class skiing have also created world class mountain and road biking in Sun Valley.
The area accommodates all levels of experience, from the beginner to the white knuckle advanced rider. From wide dirt roads and the extensive paved Wood River Trails system connecting the valley from the south to the north, to the challenging 28 miles of single track on Bald Mountain and the 700km of trails in surrounding recreation areas, the Sun Valley/ Ketchum area has a large, varied trail system for all riding abilities.
The Sawtooth National Recreation Area north of Ketchum and the Ketchum Ranger District, which surrounds the Wood River Valley, contains miles of maintained trails with spectacular mountain backdrops. Also there are 20 miles of new trail out Croy Canyon in Hailey that include a section of "downhill" trail with double jumps, berms and drops. View biking trail maps and descriptions online to plan your ride.
The 1st annual Ride Sun Valley Mountain Bike Festival showcases the area's 400+ miles of continuous singletrack in an event centered around some of the best race courses in the U.S.! The festival features the USA Cycling National Mountain Biking Championships, as well as a whole host of events for all.
Looking for a mountain bike destination that can fulfill your single-track fantasies? Whether you prefer a challenge or a mellow but beautifully scenic bike ride with the family, Sun Valley/Ketchum area has a trail for you. Even if it's your first time there's no better way to get outside and enjoy the mountain fresh air.
According to Bike Magazine, Sun Valley's single-track trails are "like butter". Meandering dirt ribbons undulate through pristine wild forest, littered with wild flowers and creature habitat. There over 1,000 miles of backcountry single and double track trails in the Wood River Valley and everyone can find a favorite. The immediate Valley area contains 360 miles of trails that extend as far North as Galena Summit and reach Dear Creek to the South. "There are trails ranging from easy to extremely challenging found in whatever direction you face throughout Sun Valley," says Bob Rosso, owner of the Elephant's Perch bike shop in Ketchum, Idaho.
"As a supplier of mountain bikes and accessories, we couldn't be more fortunate in the location of our facilities," added Adrian Montgomery, PR Director for Scott Bicycles. "There is no better place to validate designs and enjoy the mountain bike lifestyle we promote than in Sun Valley. It's paradise for trail riding."
Bike Magazine Online reports; "With its abundant trails and endless valley views, riders escape to this area to do just that: escape." Planning your getaway in Sun Valley couldn't be simpler. Several trails cater to the first-timer, including the Harriman Trail north of Ketchum, Warm Springs Road, and Corral Creek Road; which can be extended to Corral Creek Trail once confidence allows. For those looking for a challenging ride through a scenic route with a rewarding descent for dessert, both Fox Creek Trail and Shady Lane Creek Trail in Adams Gulch will suit your tastes. For expert riders who are looking for the "epic" experience, both Fisher Creek Trail and Greenhorn Gulch offer great single-track riding whilst technically challenging, sure to deliver an experience worth savoring. All trail descriptions plus "trail etiquette", may be found in Good Dirt II by Greg McRoberts.
Trails typically open in late May or early June depending on the snowmelt. Observing trail signs are the best way to know if trails are dry enough for riders to use without damaging them. Local volunteers from advocacy groups and motorcycle clubs help clear fallen trees as well as repair and redesign trails that have been washed out during the winter.
Don't have gear with you? No problem! From helmet and bike to a new bottom bracket, riders will find what they are looking for at any of Ketchum's local bike shops, listed below.
For kids, or adults who are young at heart, both Ketchum and Hailey host pump parks. Ketchum's park is located across from Hemingway Elementary school, and Hailey's is adjacent to the Blaine County Aquatic Center.
Weekly Group Rides
Weekly free group ride options are offered by local outfitters, including the Elephant's Perch Wednesday night road rides with Nappy. Meet at the Perch on Sun Valley Road for a prompt start at 5:00 p.m.
Sun Valley Biking in the Press
Read for for yourself what some publications are saying about the biking opportunities in Sun Valley:
Sun Valley Biking Quick Facts
- Sun Valley is home to over 1,100 miles of single track trails.
- Need a ride to your favorite trailhead? Sun Valley Mountain Guides runs daily shuttles to the best trails in the valley, from Pioneer Cabin to Galena Lodge
- There are over 15 different Bike/Outdoor Outfitters in the area selling top brands such as Scott, Specialized, Felt, Santa Cruz, Colnago, Cannondale, Giant, Trek, Gary Fisher, LaMond, and more.
- Ketchum received the Silver Award for being a Bike Friendly Community from the Wood River Bike Coalition
- Scott USA, a leader in bike and wintersport gear, is located in Ketchum
- Sun Valley hosts a Dirt Series women's mountain bike camp every June
- Some celebrated mountain bike athletes that call Ketchum/Sun Valley home include: Rebecca Rusch (The current 24 Hour Solo Mountain Biking World Champion) and Georgia Gould (Member of the USA Cycling Mountain Bike Olympic Team 2008)
- Many programs are available for adults and children to improve your mountain biking skills and gain experience – Contact: Roadanddirt.org, dirtseries.com, or westernspirit.com.
- The Galena Grinder is a 45 mile marathon which, according to USA Cycling is "notorious for its high altitude climbing, fast technical descents, and outrageous views of Ketchum, Baldy, and the Sawtooth Mountains."
- Other events include the Sawtooth Cycle Challenge benefit for Leukemia and Lymphoma, Trail Creek Time Trial, and Crosstoberfest in the fall.
Dining & Shopping
Things To Do
RIDE THE LEGENDARY SINGLETRACK MOUNTAIN BIKING TRAILS OF THE WOOD RIVER VALLEY Based out of one of the Valley's Best Bike Shops, Sturtevants, Sun Valley Mountain Guides (SVMG) offers mountain bike...
Joins Sawtooth Adventure Company and explore the vast, uncrowded singletrack in the Sawtooths and Stanley Valley. We have trips and trails to accommodate all ages, abilities. Trips include...