Idaho is rich in all things beer from the finest of ingredients to the beloved finished product. Idaho Brewers United and Idaho Tourism took it upon themselves to pay tribute to the flourishing beer culture in the state by dedicating April as the official Idaho Craft Beer Month. While we may be small here in Sun Valley, we have plenty to be proud of when it comes to contributing to Idaho’s beer pride. We’ve put together a few ways to maximize the Idaho Beer Month experience in Sun Valley and beyond.
Fun Idaho Beer Facts
- Sun Valley patron, Ernest Hemingway, loved a good beer after fighting a really big fish.
- Idaho is ranked 10th in the U.S. for breweries per capita according to the Brewers Association.
- In 2015, Idaho was ranked as the 2nd highest producer of barley in the nation and 3rd in hops production.
- Idaho has over 50 breweries.
- The Wood River Valley has 4 breweries including the oldest continuously running brewery in Idaho.
- Scratching your head wondering what “Gelande Quaffing” is? Scope the video below for all the details.
Local Sun Valley Breweries
- These guys offer two great locations in the Valley. The Public House in Ketchum is equipped with ample big screen tvs, a sun soaked patio, delicious pub fare, oh and their extensive beer lineup. The Tap Room is just that, an ideal spot to get a quick sampling of their work and then walking out with a few of your favorites in can, growler, or keg format. Sawtooth’s flagship beers are distributed throughout the state and are expanding beyond the confines of Idaho.
- Must Attend: Tandem Double Rye IPA release party | April 5th at the Sawtooth Public House
- Must Try Beer: Tandem Double Rye IPA
- Location: Public House – 631 Warm Springs Rd, Ketchum, ID 83340 | Tap Room – 110 N River St, Hailey, ID 83333
- These are the new kids on the block. The passion here lies within session-able English style beers that pack a punch. The food is not too be over looked either and patio will keep you coming back for more. Growler options are available onsite.
- Must Try Beer: Witty Woodpecker
- Location: 280 N Main St, Ketchum, ID 83340
- This is Idaho’s longest continually running brewery. Keep tabs on their events calendar as they tend to offer up some rocking concerts. Grab this brew at via growler on-site or at select Idaho retailers.
- Must Try Beer: Plowshares Imperial Porter
- Location: 220 N. Main St, Hailey, ID 83333
River Bend Brewing
- Ahh yes, the sweet secret of the Wood River Valley. This limited production brewery keeps things on the down-low. They know how to do a damn good American Pale (Round the Bend) and a more illusive British Bitter (Big Wood Bitter).
- Must Try Beer: Anything you can get your hands on
- Location: It’s a secret. However, you can find one of their tasty offerings at Lefty’s and a number of other establishments in the Valley. Ask around when you’re out and about.
Best Places to Enjoy a Beer
- This Hailey hub has arguably the best and most-extensive beer selection in the Valley. Their tap list is thoughtfully selected and rotated regularly. In addition to the delectable drafts is a rather impressive catalog of hard-to-come-by bottled brews. Beer snobs and aficionados will geek out here.
- Location: 502 N Main St, Hailey, ID 83333
- Schooners of beer are the name of the game at Grumpy’s. If you’re looking for a fish bowl sized pour, look no further. Be on your best behavior at this joint as the crew’s motto here is “sorry, we’re open.” In all actuality they’re a gentle bunch just don’t bring a sense of entitlement.
- Location: 860 Warm Springs Rd, Ketchum, ID 83340
- Lefty’s is one of the few places that you can find a pell of the coveted local River Bend brew. They have an additional 12 handles with some great rotating regional offerings as well as a solid by-the-bottle list. Don’t miss their back patio for the late afternoon sun.
- Location: 231 6th St E, Ketchum, ID 83340
- What goes hand in hand with beer? Wiseguy’s pizza. A carefully curated beer line-up ensures a perfect pizza pairing.
- Locations: Ketchum – 460 Sun Valley Rd, Ketchum, ID 83340 | Hailey – 411 N. Main St, Hailey, ID 83333
Don’t forget the breweries listed above (with the exception of River Bend)!
Other Great Idaho Breweries to Check Out
- Salmon River Brewery | McCall, Idaho
- Grand Teton Brewing | Victor, Idaho
- Von Scheidt Brewing Co. | Twin Falls, Idaho
- Boise Brewing Co. | Boise, Idaho
- Sockeye Brewing | Boise, Idaho
- Payette Brewing | Boise, Idaho
- Mad Bomber Brewing | Hayden, Idaho
With the 50+ breweries in Idaho, we didn’t have room to list them all. Check out the Visit Idaho page for a few more listings or scan the Google search to find one closest to you!
Now that you’ve got the info, venture out and explore the brew scene that Sun Valley and the rest of Idaho has to offer! For more information on Idaho Craft Beer Month, click here.