This AIARE Level 1 Avalanche Course – Decision Making in Avalanche Terrain course will teach you trip planning and preparation, interpretation of the avalanche bulletin, observational techniques for snowpack, weather, and avalanches, terrain analysis, safe travel techniques, and decision-making fundamentals. Students will also learn the elements of companion avalanche rescue and practice using realistic scenarios. This course follows the Avalanche Institute for Avalanche Research and Education (AIARE) curriculum and is taught by AIARE Qualified Instructors.
Our nationally recognized instructors and unmatched learning environment (i.e. incredible ski terrain!) will provide the best possible education experience during your AIARE Level 1 Avalanche Course. We offer courses based at our Williams Peak Hut in the heart of the Sawtooths, as well as programs based in Stanley or Ketchum/Sun Valley. Let us teach you how to minimize your risk while maximizing your skiing or riding!
- Understand key decision-making concepts and how these affect our risk
- Develop a trip plan and choose appropriate terrain before heading into the backcountry
- Learn to make and record appropriate field observations
- Work as a team to make good decisions and terrain choices
- Practice safe travel techniques in avalanche terrain
- Demonstrate effective companion rescue during realistic scenarios
For more information please visit: https://sawtoothguides.com/trips/aiare-level-1-avalanche-course/