The Ceremony will take place at The Community Library Lecture Hall at 6 p.m., and the public is invited to attend. “The accomplishments of this year’s inductees take your breath away!” says Mary Tyson, Director of Regional History at the Library.
The Hall of Fame started in 2010 as the Sun Valley Ski Hall of Fame and was the production of the Ketchum Sun Valley Ski and Heritage Society. It is now run by The Community Library and the name changed to the Sun Valley Winter Sports Hall of Fame in order to include all Winter Sports. This year’s class of outstanding inductees are: Graham Anderson, Dick Dorworth, Sonya Dunfield, Averell Harriman, Bob Jonas, Doran Key, Herman Maricich, and Jim Savaria.
- Graham Anderson, an active and significant contributor to the ski industry for seventy years, has a list of accolades including induction into the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame in 1984. He was a ski patroller and a board member/mentor to the SVSEF.
- Dick Dorworth, a ski racer, world-record holder for downhill time in the Diamond Sun race, coach, mountaineer, award-winning journalist, and author of four books, is also an inductee in the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame in 2011.
- Sonya Dunfield, a world champion figure skater, elite coach in the SV figure skating training center for many years, is an inductee in both the U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame in 2009, and before that awarded the Professional Skaters Association’s Shulman Award for Lifetime Achievement in 1982.
- Averell Harriman, as Board Chairman of Union Pacific Railroad, created the Sun Valley Resort in 1936. He was responsible for the first ski lift on Dollar Mountain and initiated ski racing at Sun Valley by starting the Harriman Cup race in 1937. Harriman is also an inductee in the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame in 1969.
- Bob Jonas, a pioneer in the backcountry ski industry, established five backcountry yurts in the 80s and 90s, co-founded the Wood River Nordic and Backcountry Skiers Alliance of Idaho in 1998 that helped to initiate the “Winter Snow Pact,” a successful skier/snowmobiler collaboration that went to win a “Spirit of Idaho” award.
- Herman Maricich, head of the Sun Valley Skating School for many years, started the indoor ice rink in 1975, and created the “Sun Valley on Ice” shows. Herman was instrumental in making Sun Valley a year round ice skating facility, which made it possible to be a much loved training center and destination for world-class ice skaters.
- Doran Key, an accomplished athlete, a beloved coach for Sun Valley Ski Education Foundation for over thirty years, she was awarded the SVSEF Jack Simpson Dedicated Coaches Award in 2009. Key was involved in Kindercup as the Head “D” Team Coach. Many young WRV ski competitors have had her as a coach. Jim Savaria, one of the cofounders of the Sun Valley Ski Education Foundation, has been a beloved coach for many years. He coached Olympians as well as taught kids at Rotarun when the rope-tow was first installed in the 50s. Savaria worked as a ski patrol and helped to develop safety protocols.
For additional information including biographical information, see the Library Website, https://www.comlib.org/sun-valley-winter-sports-hall-of-fame/. There were thirteen nominees submitted by community through the public call, eight inductees were chosen, and the five names of those who were not selected this year are being added to next year’s nomination list.