Snowsport History Celebration is a series of events held in historic Sun Valley, ID and will culminate with the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony. The week boasts gatherings, riding and sliding, organized reunions, parties, presentations and much more!
More details to come!
Honoring the Induction Class of 2019
- Scott Brooksbank– An inspirational pioneer of freestyle skiing, his competitive career spanned three decades earning five world titles in over forty podium appearances. He continues to mentor the next generation of ski champions in the “art of the ski turn”.
- Kit DesLauriers– After winning consecutive freestyle championships, Kit DesLauriers accomplished greatness by becoming the first person to climb and ski down the summits of the highest peaks of all 7 continents. She is one of the greatest female ski mountaineers in history.
- Johnny Spillane– Johnny Spillane blazed the trail for nordic combined in America, skiing to the first World Championship gold in 2003 then leading Team USA with an unprecedented three silver medals at the 2010 Olympic Winter Games.
- Benjamin Finley & Arthur Clay– Their nearly 50 year vision has created tens of thousands of snow sports enthusiasts, generating hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue across the winter sports industry. The NBS’ annual gathering is one of the largest ski events in America.
- James Niehues– James Niehues, with the utmost care to detail, has meticulously hand painted the overwhelming majority of the trail maps in North America that we all know, love and rely on to navigate the often complicated network of trails and lifts.
- Greg Stump– Greg Stump re-invented the ski movie, creating a body of work that remains relevant and influential to this day. Stump stopped making ski movies when he presciently foresaw the dangers of the extreme genre he helped create.
- Sherman Poppen– Often called the “Grandfather of Snowboarding” Sherman Poppen invented the Snurfer in 1965, and eventually sold over 1 million units. The snurfer was the first mass produced snowboard. Poppen is credited to be the inventor of the sport of snowboarding.