Getting To Sun Valley
Discover current flights and transportation into and around the area to help you plan your travel to Sun Valley, Idaho. We may seem like a remote vacation destination but getting here is easier than you might think. Yes, we do have an airport only 12 miles from Ketchum & Sun Valley. Boise, the capital of Idaho, is the biggest airport in the state and is a mere 2.5 hour drive. Boise is typically offers the most affordable flights and routing when not flying directly in to Sun Valley. Twin Falls & Idaho Falls are also great options.
Driving is certainly a great alternative for getting to Sun Valley. The roads are typically well-maintained with relatively flat, straight stretches. Keep scrolling to dig deeper on how to get to Sun Valley, Idaho; the Original Mountain Town.
Summer 2020 Nonstop Flight Schedule
Fly nonstop into Sun Valley from 6 major cities. Friedman Memorial Airport (SUN) is located a mere 12 miles south of Sun Valley and Ketchum in Hailey, Idaho.
**Spring & Summer Air Service Changes Due to COVID-19**
Delta Air Lines will operate one daily flight to Salt Lake City (SLC) for the spring season, March 30 – June 7, 2020.
Summer air service will being June 25th.
Seattle >> Sun Valley | Alaska Airlines | June 25th, 2020
San Francisco >> Sun Valley | United | July 11th, 2020
Los Angeles >> Sun Valley | United | June 25th, 2020
Denver >> Sun Valley | United | June 20th, 2020
Salt Lake City >> Sun Valley | Delta | Year-round
San Francisco, CA | SFO
- United Airlines flies nonstop from SFO to SUN Saturdays & Sundays through the fall.
- San Francisco >> Sun Valley | United | July 11th, 2020 - Fall
- Nearby airports to consider: SFO (nonstop to SUN*)
- Oakland (30min drive) & San Jose (1hr drive) Oakland travelers should consider flying to Boise on Southwest Airlines
Seattle, WA | SEA
- Alaska Airlines flies nonstop daily from SEA to SUN.
- Seattle >> Sun Valley | Alaska | June 25th, 2020 - September 6th, 2020.
Los Angeles, CA | LAX
- United Airlines flies nonstop 5x a week from LAX to SUN, Wednesday - Sunday.
- Los Angeles >> Sun Valley | United | June 25th, 2020 - September 7th, 2020.
- Nearby airports: LAX (nonstop to SUN*), Hollywood Burbank (30min drive), Long Beach (30min drive), John Wayne (1hr drive) & Ontario (1hr drive)
Salt Lake City, UT | SLC
- Delta flies nonstop daily from SLC to SUN.
- Salt Lake City >> Sun Valley | Delta | Year-round.
Chicago, IL | ORD
- United Airlines flies nonstop from ORD to SUN in the winter months
- Chicago >> Sun Valley | United | Currently only operates in the winter.
- Nearby airports: O’Hare (nonstop to SUN*), Midway (1.5hr drive) & Mitchell (1.5hr drive) Midway travelers should consider flying in to Boise on Southwest Airlines
Denver, CO | DEN
- United Airlines flies nonstop from DEN to SUN.
- Denver >> Sun Valley | United | June 20th, 2020 - September 7th.
Travel Tips: Weather Diversions
There's no denying that weather can be a factor when flying in to the Sun Valley airport in the winter. While we rejoice at these opportunities for snow on the ski hills, it can delay your Sun Valley travel plans. Fortunately, our community has a special diversion busing program in place that allows passengers to arrive and/or depart from an alternative nearby airport on the same schedule. If you're flying in to Sun Valley on United or Delta airlines and are diverted, in most cases you will land in Twin Falls, Idaho. This is a mere 75 miles from your original intended destination. If you are flying Alaska airlines, in most cases you will be diverted to Boise which is 140 miles from your original intended destination. The good news is that if you are diverted, the airport has orchestrated a comfortable motorcoach to get you to your final destination free of charge! Grab a beverage, a bite, sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. It's way better than being stuck paying for an airport hotel on your own dime.
Sun Valley Weather Diversion Hotlines:
- Sun Valley Airport | 208-401-9259
- United | 208-788-4887
- Alaska | 208-788-1281 prompt #4
- Delta | 208-788-4887
Private & Chartered Flights
Atlantic Aviation SUN provides a variety of services including refueling and all aircraft ground services along with crew and rental cars, lodging reservations, a public notary, 24-hour surveillance and security, and on-site aircraft maintenance.
For those looking for chartered or air club services, there are a couple of locally and regionally based options to accommodate a variety of requests.
Elevation Air Club
- Elevation Air Club offers a dedicated Sun Valley aircraft and flight crew to allow for the ultimate in accessibility.
- Members enjoy exclusive access to flights at predictable rates, option to ‘rideshare’ with other members, and the ability to charter flights anywhere in the world.
- Non-members are also welcomed to request charter flights.
Jackson Jet Center
- Jackson Jet Center is a premiere fixed base operator (FBO) with a state-of-the-art facility located in Boise, Idaho that flies across the country.
- Their line up includes four twin engine aircraft including jet, light jet, turboprop and a single engine Pilatus.
Driving to Sun Valley
Traveling to Sun Valley by car is popular amogst visitors and residents alike due to the typically friendly road conditions and relative ease of navigating. Flying in to Boise, Twin Falls, Idaho Falls and even Salt Lake City are great alternatives to flying directly in the Sun Valley.
Drive from Boise
- Fly directly into Boise (BOI), roughly 150 miles southwest of Sun Valley and make the scenic 2 hour & 45 min drive up to the area.
- Daily shuttles from Boise are available on the Sun Valley Express (twice daily)
Drive from Twin Falls
- Fly into Twin Falls Airport (TWF), 90 miles south of Sun Valley and cruise the hour and a half hr drive up.
- Take the Salt Lake Express non-stop from Twin Falls to Sun Valley & Ketchum
Drive from Idaho Falls
- Fly into Idaho Falls (IDA), 150 miles east of Sun Valley and coast 2 and a half hour drive with a portion of your trip through the lava fields of Crater's of the Moon National Park.
Getting Around Sun Valley
When you visit Sun Valley, it's a breeze to get around. No need to rent a car; just hop on one of the FREE* and easy Mountain Rides buses that will get you where you need to go around Ketchum, Sun Valley and Hailey. With multiple "Around Town" routes in the Summer and the Winter, it's easy to get to your destination.
In addition to the bus services, there are a number of rental car options. Taxis, Uber and Lyft rides are a little harder to come by but still an option.
For all of the details on navigating the Wood River Valley, click the link below.
Video courtesy of Sun Valley Resort (shuttle only available to Sun Valley Resort guests).